Tuesday 25 August 2015

Top Ten Tuesdays : 25th Aug


Top 10 Tuesday is a post hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and this week's topic is  Top Ten Books That Would Be On Your Syllabus If You Taught X 101

I thought I would break this list in to parts. I am not going to just list down books in one genre but many. So here goes.

Books That Would Be On my Syllabus If I Taught Fantasy 101

  1. The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien - If you know anything about me it is that I love the Lord of the Rings series, the books and the movies. They are the epitome of fantasy in my eyes. The setting for this series is just epic
  2. The Harry Potter Series by J. K. Rowling - This is a series that introduced a lot of people to the magic of books let alone to that of Fantasy. I believe this is a series that will stand the test of time. 
  3. Elantris and Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson - You might ask why these 2 books and not Sanderson's more famous Mistborn series or the Stormlight Archive, but I think these books suit this list. It is very, very rare to see a fantasy book that is a standalone, and to see 2 from the same author is just awesome. Sanderson is a genius when it comes to setting up the fantasy world and the characters.
  4. The Discworld Series by Terry Pratchett - This series would be in the curriculum because I just love the Discworld series to bits and find it funny. Reports on the Watch part of the series, with special attention to Sam Vimes would be very well received indeed.
Books That Would Be On my Syllabus If I Taught Sci-Fi 101
  1. The Foundation Series by Isaac Asimov - I more often read Sci-Fi that is closer to fantasy in its epicness than the Space opera one's. I was bowled over by the sheer scope of this book. It is not everyone's cup of tea, it's not necessarily my favorite Sci-Fi book but it does teach you a lot about how a Sci-Fi book is to be written
  2. The Odyssey Series by Arthur C. Clarke - This is one of my favorite books. I reread this series once every 2-3 years. Even though this is a series the books can be read as standalones (though I would suggest reading it in series). This is a series that talks about contact between Human kind and Super intelligent extra terrestrial life. The science in these books is something that we are seeing come true in our lifetime and it makes it a little more relatable.
  3. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams - Douglas Adams tried to come up with a Sci-Fi Comedy and he ended up with the masterpiece that is The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. This book would be part of the curriculum to show that Sci-Fi doesn't always have to be long winded and boring but fun too.
Books That Would Be On my Syllabus If I Taught Classics 101
  1. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas - Any revenge story I read is always held up against this classic in my head. Among the books by Dumas this book has always been my favorite.
  2. War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells - This is a book that can also be categorized as Sci-Fi but I prefer to think of it as a classic instead. 
  3. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - I already own 4 copies of this book and reread it every year. Need I say more.
What is on your list?

1 comment:

  1. I did a list on fantasy this week and I can't believe I left off Discworld! I've only read a few books but it's such a definitive series. Absolutely love all that I've read from it. Great list!

    My TTT: http://tsundokubooks.blogspot.com/2015/08/top-ten-tuesday-epic-fantasy-101.html

    ReplyDelete