Tuesday 3 July 2012

My Secret Vice

This here is my first post. And my secret vice is watching Asian Dramas. I love Korean, Japanese and Taiwanese dramas. I love the Japanese dramas for their complexities and the Korean and Taiwanese dramas for the escape they provide from real life. As an Indian i feel more attuned to the Korean way of life portrayed in the dramas. Some of my favourite dramas are as follows:

Hana Yori Dango
Secret garden
Beautiful Life
The Moon that Embraces the Sun
Personal Preference
Coffee prince

And a lot more. I will attempt to write not about the dramas but about how i felt when  watched them and what i thought while and after watching them. and this will not just be restricted to the dramas mentioned above but also the one's that i am watching.

I just finished watching MARS ( Taiwanese drama).

















I had also read the manga a while back. I enjoyed the manga and also the drama adaptation. They stayed true to most of the manga. I LOVED Vic Zhou as Chen Ling/Rei Kashino. It was like he was projecting Rei from the manga. Though Barbie Hsu did not really look like Aso from the manga she grew on me through the series.

What i really liked about the series (both drama and manga) is that life isn't always fair and hunky dory. The hero also has his dark side.(This could also be one of the reasons that one of my favorite comic book heroes is Batman :P ) I can see myself in this world... where attaining your dream means making sacrifices, and the hero isn't exactly a knight in shining armour. And it isn't showcased as a split personality plot but Chen Ling/Rei is very aware of his emotional/psychological shortcomings. The heroine Qi Luo/Aso is not above the same.

The side characters are not as well developed as the main characters but they were a great supporting cast. This drama comes in the top dramas that i love. I would give this drama 4 stars.

This is my first attempt at writing a post let alone a review so this one might seem short. But i might revisit this topic and flesh it out a little more down the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment